The following survey is part of the White Plains School District's
effort to assess the progress of instructional technology initiatives in
all White Plains schools. There are many different points of view and opinions
related to technology resource allocation, use and impact, and this survey
is one way of gathering information on those varied opinions and experiences.
Parents, teachers, and administrators will also be surveyed, and focus groups
have been conducted recently as a means of gathering more in-depth information
on how technology impacts student learning and teacher work.
Data from this survey will be analyzed in aggregate to create an overall
picture of technology use in White Plains schools for the purposes of district
technology planning. Individual responses will not be
tracked and therefore all of your responses will be anonymous.
Thanks in advance for your time and candid responses.
What grade are you in?
Please Select a Grade
In each of the questions below that asks for an open-ended response, please
feel free to type in as much text as you like. The box will automatically
expand as you type.
1.How satisfied are you with your access to the technology you need at school?
2. Please describe any ways that your school could improve your access to technology during the school day.
3. How much impact do you feel technology has on your education?
I don't use technology at school
4. Please describe how you feel technology could better support your learning.
5. What - if any - barriers exist to your use of technology
at school in relation to your schoolwork?
6. The following table lists a variety of technology skills. Please identify which skills you use and how/when you think you learned them.
Student Technology Skill
I use this skill in relation to my school work
I learned this in the 21st Century Skills Course
I learned this before 9th grade
I learned this elsewhere
Can use a word processor to create a text document
or type a paper/essay
Can use a presentation manager (e.g. PowerPoint)
to create and display a presentation
Can use a spreadsheet (e.g., Excel) to organize
Can demonstrate basic proficiency in typing (e.g.,
can type with all 10 fingers)
Can use the WWW for research with a minimal amount
of teacher/parent guidance
Can differentiate between fictitious/erroneous/unreliable
sources of information versus reliable information.
Can use specialized databases (e.g., World Book
Can design and publish a webpage
Can create multimedia resources (digital videos,
Can participate in and use online communication
(accessing teacher blogs, online courses, etc.)
Can use a graphing calculator
7. How confident are you that White Plains Public Schools is preparing you with the technology skills and experience that will be useful to you after graduation?
I don't use technology at school
8. Where do you typically access technology outside of school for the purposes for doing your school work? Check all that apply.
At a friend's house
At a parent's work
9.What technology can you access for your school work outside of school? Check all that apply.
10. Does your teacher communicate with you via email?
I don't know
11. Does your teacher post information
about his/her class online – e.g., homework assignments, resources,
samples of student work, etc.?
12. How might communication with your teacher or school improve via the use of technology?
Use this section to add clarification
to any question, or to add any thoughts you might have on any aspect
(positive or negative) of how instructional technology impacts your
involvement in school and/or your learning. Once
again, please be assured that your comments are confidential.
When you are finished with this survey, click on this button to
the survey for processing. Please click only once.
When your survey is accepted by the system, you will be taken to a confirmation
page. This may take a moment, so please be patient.
If you want to delete all of your answers and start again, click here
Survey Form Updated 3/12/10